Hi. My name is Alfred Charles and I'd like to add my name to your list as my Taurus SHO just failed.
Alfred R. Charles
Hi. Thanks for your fast response. I did not have an extended warranty although I had mechanical breakdown coverage thru GEICO.
I missed four oil changes and the Ford tech is saying chunky oil prevented the fluid from getting to the exhaust valve, which bent. However, after reading the testimonials from the other people, my car was exhibiting the same symptoms, including the clicking noise many people spoke of. At first the service tech said my oil was clean then he said he found sludge after breaking the engine down. GEICO is suggesting to me that he is trying to cover-up the problem because it was a cam failure.
At any rate, here are my answers to your questions:
For those that had engine failure: Answer all the questions the best you can.
1. VIN#s: 1FAFP54NXXA261817
2. Date of malfunction: Jan. 28
3. Where did the malfunction take place (highway, city streets, driveway, parking lot, etc.): On city street
4. Odometer reading at time of malfunction: 80,000
5. How fast were you traveling?: 25 MPH
6. Were you accelerating or staying at a constant speed? Accelerating
7. Estimated date of purchase, new or used?: New - June, 1999
8. Estimated Odometer reading at time of purchase: )
9. Full Name, address, and a good phone# to reach you at during the day and night. Alfred Charles;
10. Brief description of the time of events leading towards the malfunction. (what did you hear and see before, during, and after the malfunction): There was a clicking noise several days before that got louder. After stopping at a red light, I tried to accelerate and the car would go no faster than 2 MPH; pulled over and it died; It re-cranked but would not drive.
11. Customer service phone # you called and the name of the person you talked to. (if you can remember): Have not spoken to anyone at customer service
12. Did you feel satisfied with the answers customer service provided? Explain.
13. Which dealership did you take your vehicle in for service? (name, address, phone#) Layfield's Motors, who said exhaust valve was bent; then transferred to Alan Vigil Ford in Morrow, Georgia, who diagnosed same thing. Said originally oil was clear but that sludge was found after they disassembled engine.
14. What was the cause of failure determined by the dealer? Rear exhaust valve bent
15. What was the cause of failure determined by you?: I don't know
16. How much was your statement? (I hope you kept your receipt): Estimate of repair-$10,000
17. What can FOMOCO do to make you a satisfied Ford owner?: Pay to have my car repaired.