Home | Mailing List | Specifications | Care and
Feeding | Modifications | Vendors | Literature
Another common malady on the 1989 - 1995 cars were the water pumps being prone to failure at about 75,000 miles. To the best of this author's knowledge, there have not been any water pump failures reported on the Generation 3 SHO's. But, being reasonable and prudent, here's the removal and installation guide . . . just in case.
1. Drain engine cooling system.
2. Remove engine appearance cover as described.
3. Remove battery and battery tray.
4. Remove drive belt from water pump and water pump drive pulley.
5. Disconnect throttle body return and supply hoses, heater core return hose and oil cooler return hose from water pump.
6. Remove two bolts retaining water hose connection to water pump housing. Pull water hose connection away from water pump and remove water thermostat from water pump housing.
7. Remove bolts and collar retaining water pump housing to LH cylinder head.
8. Disconnect water outlet hose and water inlet hose from water pump and remove water pump from engine.
9. Remove retaining bolt and belt idler pulley from water pump housing.
10. Inspect water pump for wear or damage. Replace components as required.
Water Pump Removal
|1||8A577||Water Outlet Hose|
|2||8548||Throttle Body to Water Pump Return Hose|
|3||8548||Water Pump to Throttle Body Supply Hose|
|4||95827-08110||Bolt (2 Req'd)|
|7||6N789||Oil Cooler Return Tube Gasket|
|8||8592||Water Hose Connection|
|9||95827-06020||Bolt (2 Req'd)|
|10||8287||Heater Core to Water Pump Return Hose|
|12||6B851||Oil Cooler to Water Pump Return Hose|
|15||8678||Belt Idler Pulley|
|16||6A359||Water Pump Drive Pulley|
|19||8548||Water Inlet Hose|
|A||--||Tighten to 18-28 N-m (14-20 Lb-Ft)|
|B||--||Tighten to 10-16 N-m (89-141 Lb-In)|
|C||--||Tighten to 8-12 N-m (71-106 Lb-In)|
1. Clean water pump-to-water pump housing gasket sealing
2. If removed, install water pump belt idler pulley and retaining bolt to water pump housing. Tighten retaining bolt to 10-16 N-m (89-141 lb-in).
3. Lubricate water pump inlet hose, outlet hoses and O-ring with Silicone Lubricant COAZ-19553-AA or D7AZ-19553-AA or equivalent meeting Ford specification ESR-M13P4-A. Install water pump inlet and outlet hoses onto water pump housing. Install water pump outlet hose spring clamp securely.
4. Place O-ring between water pump housing and LH cylinder head.
5. Install bolts retaining water pump housing to LH cylinder head. Tighten two retaining bolts at water inlet to 8-12 N-m (71-106 lb-in). Tighten two remaining retaining bolts to 18-28 N-m (14-20 lb-ft).
6. Install water thermostat, oil cooler return tube gasket and water hose connection to water pump housing with two retaining bolts. Tighten to 8-12 N-m (71-106 lb-in).
7. Install throttle body return and supply hoses, heater core return hose and oil cooler return hose to water pump.
8. Install water pump drive belt. Carefully release drive belt tensioner.
9. Fill engine cooling system.
10. Install engine appearance cover as described.
11. Run engine and check for coolant leaks.