List | Specifications | Care
and Feeding | Modifications | Vendors
Barbara Gariepy - Cam Failure #419
new - 8/05/04
My name is Barbara. I currently own a silver 1996 SHO loaded with everything
/ leather / sliding sunroof / 6 cd / spoiler / alloy wheels / etc. I am the
third owner. My sister owned the car before me, who bought it off of a business
person who used it for travel. I currently have the car for sale because the
mechanic could not figure out why he could not get the car to idle correctly.
When the car broke down, it had about 165,000 mi. I know that the catalytic
converter overheated and the manifold filled with oil. The mechanic only worked
on it part time, and I believe he really did not want to get into it because it
was going to be a big job. After waiting some time, I was left with having to
buy another vehicle. So, I posted the car for sale on the internet on several
sites. Someone who saw the ad emailed me an asked for pictures today. They also
mentioned your law suit. I am supposed to sell the car to someone tomorrow
afternoon. Now, I'm not sure if I should sell the car. It was taken very good
care of. I do not have the VIN number on me right now but I could get it. I
actually was going to find the title this afternoon. I live in Haverhill, MA,
and I can be reached at work, or home
here is some information.
again for your help,
2. Date of malfunction
about 3 months ago.
3. Where did the malfunction take place (highway, city streets, driveway,
parking lot, etc.) Rte 125,
4. Odometer reading at time of malfunction
about 168,000 ?
5. How fast were you traveling? about 30 mi per hr.
6. Were you accelerating or staying at a constant speed?
7. Estimated date of purchase, new or used?
8. Estimated Odometer reading at time of purchase
9. Full Name, address, and a good phone# to reach you at during the day and
Barbara J. Gariepy,
10. Brief description of the time of events leading towards the malfunction.
(what did you hear and see before, during, and after the malfunction)
Engine was starting to sound rough a few days before.
Just finished fueling, traveled about 1 mi and was accelerating slightly up a
hill. The car lost power. Tried to restart but would not stay going. Could not
drive from then on. Would turn over but would have a hard time staying
11. Customer service phone # you called and the name of the person you talked
to. (if you can remember) Never talked to anyone. Only a
mechanic of a friend.
12. Did you feel satisfied with the answers customer service provided?
13. Which dealership did you take your vehicle in for service? (name,
address, phone#) NA
14. What was the cause of failure determined by the dealer?
The mechanic could not figure it out. I know at one point the catalytic
converter clogged and overheated. Also, oil filled the manifold. That was
taken care of but the car still would not idle correctly. He did say the
engine had compression when he tested it.
15. What was the cause of failure determined by you?
?? I figure it was something deep into the engine and he
did not want to get into it. (He does this on the side part-time).
16. How much was your statement? (I hope you kept your receipt)
17. What can FOMOCO do to make you a satisfied Ford owner?
?? In hind sight, I wish I knew the issues and could
have figured out the problem before I went out and purchased another vehicle.