A cam in my '96 SHO went bad and I'd like to join the fight against Ford in regards to the cam failure issue. Here is my info:
My SHO recently started making a "ticking" noise in the area of one of the rear camshafts. It was diagnosed by a local mechanic as the cam sprocket. The engine is currently having all the cams welded. Since the repair is not yet finished I do not have a total bill.
1. VIN#s ... 1FALP54N5TA244727
2. Date of malfunction ... June 2003
3. Where did the malfunction take place (highway, city streets, driveway, parking lot, etc.) Cam noise became more noticeable over time
4. Odometer reading at time of malfunction ... 74650
5. How fast were you traveling?
6. Were you accelerating or staying at a constant speed?
7. Estimated date of purchase, new or used? ... used, purchased in '99
8. Estimated Odometer reading at time of purchase ... approx 45000
9. Full Name, address, and a good phone# to reach you at during the day and night.
Hunlock Creek, PA 18621
10. Brief description of the time of events leading towards the malfunction. (what did you hear and see before, during, and after the malfunction) ... My SHO recently started making a "ticking" noise in the area of one of the rear camshafts. It was diagnosed by a local mechanic as the cam sprocket.
11. Customer service phone # you called and the name of the person you talked to. (if you can remember) ... 1-800-392-3673
12. Did you feel satisfied with the answers customer service provided? Explain. ...I called to have my problem documented by Ford
13. Which dealership did you take your vehicle in for service? (name, address, phone#) ... The cam sprocket was welded by a local mechanic
14. What was the cause of failure determined by the dealer? ... Cam sprocket not secure on camshaft ... Poor design
15. What was the cause of failure determined by you? ... Poor design
16. How much was your statement? (I hope you kept your receipt) .... Repairs have been made, and once again the car runs fine. I do not have a total bill from the repair shop yet.
17. What can FOMOCO do to make you a satisfied Ford owner? ... Pay for repairs!
Again this is a numbers game, Ford states this is rare and many failures are taken car of under warranty. If this happened to you, it is not so rare, may be very expensive and may not have been a case study of Ford's generosity. Either way you could help your self and other SHO owners by sharing your experience with us. - The more the better.
Is there any other info you need? Please email back if you have any questions. Also, feel free to foreword this info to anyone involved that might be able to help.