98-25-1, Publication Date: DECEMBER 4, 1998
There may be a possible chafing of the fuel pump assembly wires resulting in an open fuse and/or inoperable fuel pump assembly or a no start condition on some vehicles. This may be due to wires chafing on the hose clamps that retain the pressure and return fuel hoses. Chafing may also occur on the flange of the assembly and the tank itself.
Install plastic sheathing onto wire harness. The plastic sheathing protects the wire and should reduce the possibility of rubbing and chafing. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.
1. Obtain Fuel Pump Sheathing Kit (F8PZ-9A213-BA). Service Kits should be installed when servicing any fuel pump, fuel level sender, or fuel pump/sender assembly which does not have the sheating already in place.
2. Remove tie straps from wire harness on the fuel pump assembly.
3. Disconnect fuel pump connector and sender ground.
4. Select correct plastic wire sheathing (190mm (7.5") long for most applications).
5. Install wire sheathing over the fuel pump wires and sender ground wire.
6. If possible, place yellow sender positive wire inside sheathing. If in-line connector prevents this, route sender positive wire against the outside of the sheathing.
7. Secure wire bundle with tie strap about 25mm (1") from each end of the sheathing.
8. Tighten tie straps to prevent shifting of the wire sheathing.
OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES: NONE
WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under The Provisions Of Bumper To Bumper Warranty Coverage
OASIS CODES: 203000, 203200, 404000, 603300