97-25-2, Publication Date: DECEMBER 8, 1997
This TSB article is being republished in its entirety to update the model year coverage and the service parts list.
The subframe front and rear retention nuts may spin if removal is required or the subframe bolt may break due to the excessive force required to break the bond from the adhesive on the bolt.
If it becomes necessary to remove the subframe attaching bolts and the retention nuts spin during the removal procedure, replace the front retention nuts by referring to the following Service Procedure. Replace the rear retention nuts located in the unibody by referring to the instructions listed in the repair kit. The repair kit will repair one (1) subframe attachment.
USE THIS PROCEDURE ONLY IF THE RETAINING NUTS SPIN AND THE BOLTS CANNOT BE REMOVED.
BEFORE STARTING THIS PROCEDURE, MAKE SURE THAT THE SUBFRAME IS SUPPORTED PROPERLY.
Use the following procedure to replace the plate nut at the subframe-to-body FRONT attachment location.
1. From under the vehicle, cut the head off the subframe body mount bolt with a metal cutting saw. This will allow for the removal of the subframe/engine assembly from the vehicle.
THE LOWER ABSORBER IS COMPRESSED AND WILL EXPAND ONCE THE BOLT HEAD IS CUT THROUGH. EXERCISE CARE TO AVOID INJURY.
2. Locate the 51mm (2") square hole on the inside wall of the front rail near the lower body mounts. It will be necessary to remove the anti-lock hydraulic control unit to access this hole on the LH side (Figure 1).
Figure 1 - Article 97-25-2
3. Through this access hole, bend the existing cage top plate upright and remove the plate nut and bolt (Figure 1).
4. Position the new Plate Nut (F7DZ-5410158-A) in place and bend the tab down to retain the plate nut.
5. Remount the subframe, driving the new Bolt (N804442-S426, Taurus/Sable or W705311-S426, Continental) at a higher torque of 103 N-m (76 lb-ft).
ONLY THE REPAIRED LOCATION SHOULD BE DRIVEN AT THE NEW TORQUE; ALL OTHER SUBFRAME MOUNTS SHOULD BE REPAIRED USING THE NORMAL TORQUE OF 90 N-m (66 LB-FT).
Use the Instruction Sheet contained in the Subframe Nut Service Kit (F8DZ-AA) to replace the plate nut at the subframe-to-body REAR attachment position.
The Subframe Nut Service Kit (F8DZ-AA) consists of the following:
l Four (4) Rivets
l One (1) Nut
l One (1) Panel Cover
l One (1) Instruction Sheet
THE SUBFRAME NUT SERVICE KIT DOES NOT CONTAIN THE BOLT NEEDED. ORDER THE BOLT AS LISTED IN THE FOLLOWING PARTS BLOCK.
OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES: NONE
WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under The Provisions Of Bumper To Bumper Warranty Coverage
OASIS CODES: 111000, 304000, 305000, 702000, 702100, 702300