96-3-3, Publication Date: JANUARY 29, 1996
A "squeak" and/or "groan" noise may come from the front wheel opening area when turning the wheels to the left or right. This may be caused by contact and rubbing between the upper and lower bearing caps of the upper spring seat and bearing assembly.
Replace both left and right side spring seat and bearing assemblies using the strut bearing kit. The new strut bearings should reduce the possibility of noise due to contact. Refer to the following Service Procedure and the Instruction Sheet included in the kit.
1. Remove both front strut assemblies following the instructions listed in the 1996 Taurus/Sable Service Manual, Page 04-01-8.
2. Inspect the strut assemblies to make sure that all components properly fit together.
3. Upon verification of this condition, disassemble the struts following the procedure outlined in the 1996 Taurus/Sable Service Manual, Page 04-01-13.
4. Install Strut Bearing Kit (F6DZ-3C216-AA). Refer to Instruction Sheet #6865 included in the kit.
5. Reinstall both struts into the vehicle.
The Strut Bearing Kit (F6DZ-3C216-AA) contains the following:
l Two (2) Seat and Bearing Assemblies
l Six (6) Nut Washers
l Two (2) Flange Nuts
l Two (2) Flag Bolts
l Two (2) Stablizer Bar Link Nut And Washer Assemblies
l Two (2) Tie Rod Flange Nuts
l Two (2) Cotter Pins
l One (1) Instruction Sheet (I.S. #6865)
OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES: NONE
WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under The Provisions Of Bumper To Bumper Warranty Coverage
OASIS CODES: 303000, 304000, 702100